Come to the land of vegan made easy with
Vegan-Ease: An Easy Guide to Enjoying a Plant-Based Diet, a vegan cookbook for everyone, by Laura Theodore. This review comes complete with a giveaway, a chance to win an autographed copy of Vegan-Ease and a bar of Pasha chocolate, and a banana oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe (super healthy!).
Laura Theodore is a vegan chef and cookbook author (previous plant-based cookbooks include Jazzy Vegetarian Classics: Vegan Twists on American Family Favorites). You may have seen her on the award-winning Jazzy Vegetarian cooking series on public television. Laura is also a critically claimed jazz singer and songwriter (hence, jazzy vegetarian!).
Laura’s inspiration for creating Vegan-Ease is simple, inspiring and one that most people can relate to. She moved from the hustling bustling vegan mecca of New York City to rural America (a small town in New Jersey), and found a new challenge – vegan food products, restaurants/cafes/eateries/markets, and the variety of organic produce she had become accustomed to were out of sight and out of reach.
She was determined to vegan-ease her own vegan recipes and create new ones for herself, her friends and her family. Realizing there were so many others experiencing the same challenges, she was inspired to spread the love, joy, deliciousness and vegan-easy way of living and eating. Lucky for us, she did just that. The result is a cookbook with healthful recipes that are yummy, nutritious and created from ingredients you can find anywhere (and some that you can possibly easily grow yourself).
With information about the why and how to go vegan healthfully along with vegan-easy tips (see below for her Top Five Tips for Vegan-Ease Cuisine), Laura guides us through the process of making vegan easy. All of the recipes in her book contain easy to find ingredients, are easy on the wallet and easy to prepare.
With each recipe marked with an ease-factor rating, Laura further guides us on how to prepare these simplified foods to work within our busy schedules, making it easier to prepare and plan meals/menus for every day and any occasion.
With an abundance of colorful photos, these recipes come to life and help you choose what entree, small meal, side dish, smoothie, beverage, dessert, condiment you want to make.
With a chapter on vegan essentials, she outlines basic ingredients and foods, kitchen tools and shopping lists, and plant-based nutrition (how to get your nutritional needs met on a plant-based diet).
Recipe and excerpt (below) from Laura Theodore’s Vegan-Ease: An Easy Guide to Enjoying a Plant-Based Diet © Laura Theodore (Jazzy Vegetarian, LLC 2015), reprinted by permission. Photos by David Kaplan.
Four-Ingredient Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
This is definitely a healthier version of a cookie (a great alternative to your oatmeal and banana breakfast). With an ease-factor rating one (the easiest!) and only 4 ingredients, this recipe can be whipped up in literally 5 minutes. I like to mix things up a bit with walnuts, coconut flakes, chia seeds, sunflower or pumpkin seeds and/or spices.
Makes 16 to 18 Cookies / Ease Factor 1
Oh yeah! These delectable little cuties are so simple to make, you just may want to make a double batch. With only four ingredients, you can’t go wrong with this easy twist on a classic cookie.
2 large, ripe bananas
1¼ cups rolled oats
1⁄3 cup raisins
1⁄3 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
Preheat the oven 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
Put the bananas in a medium-sized bowl and mash with a potato masher or large fork until smooth.
Add the oats, raisins and chocolate chips; stir to combine.
Using a cookie scoop or large spoon, drop a heaping tablespoonful of the cookie batter onto the lined baking sheet, gently flattening it with a rubber spatula or clean fingertips.
Continue in this manner with the remaining cookie dough.
Bake for 13 to 17 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and cookies are almost set.
Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, cookies will keep for about 3 days.
Amount per serving, based on 1 cookie: 59 Calories; 2g Fat; 1g Saturated fat; 1g Protein; 1mg Sodium;
11g Total Carbohydrate; 4g Sugars; 2g Fiber
And straight from the book here are Laura’s top 5 tips for Vegan-Ease cuisine…
Top Five Tips for Vegan-Ease Cuisine
Here are my Top Five Tips for starting on the path to Vegan-Ease Cuisine: Easy vegan meals, without sacrificing great taste or giving up the textures and flavors we all
1. If you are new to vegan eating, start by serving one non-meat, plant-based meal each week for dinner. Try preparing hearty and satisfying favorites like Chili, Lasagna, Soup, Pasta, Easy Casserole or Meatless Burger.
2. Use mashed bananas, ground flaxseeds mixed with water or whipped organic tofu to replace eggs in many baked goods recipes. This works especially well when making muffins, brownies and many cakes. (If a baked goods recipe calls for just one egg, in most cases you can just leave the egg out and your recipe will still be perfect!)
3. Now widely available in most supermarkets, purchase rice, soy, almond, cashew, coconut or oat nondairy milk for topping cereal or as a substitute for dairy milk in almost any recipe.
4. Got a sweet tooth? Organic, dairy-free, fair trade dark chocolate is available in most supermarkets and health food stores.
5. When food shopping, take a moment to explore the rainbow of colors and tastes that fresh produce has to offer. Try adding one new vegetable or fruit to your cart every time you shop. This will make your journey toward a vegan diet more flavorful and From hearty main dishes, to decadent desserts, the vegan diet offers a wide range of options. And best of all, you’ll be making the world a better place, one tasty recipe at
The publishers were kind enough to provided me with a review copy and one to giveaway along with a PASHA Chocolate bar!
Vegan-Ease Vegan Cookbook Giveaway
This giveaway starts 11/9/15 12:00am and ends on 11/16/15 at 12:00am EST and is open to anyone in the U.S. The winner will have 48 hours to respond to the notification email to claim their prize or a new winner will be drawn. The information you enter is collected by Rafflecopter and viewed by me in order to facilitate this giveaway.